View Mobile Site

Echoes of Effingham

Remembering the Concrete Builders Supply

Remembering the Concrete Builders Supply

W.R. Lee and Ralph Rahn had the feed and seed business behind the warehouse on Laurel Street just north of the old theatre building discussed last week. A large rolling back door allowed farmers to... » Read More
Making concrete blocks in Springfield

Making concrete blocks in Springfield

In 1946, Ijon Tigleth Webb and his two sons, Ijon Thomas and George Henry, got a permit and built a building to manufacture concrete block. See accompanying photo of the permit. The brothers were k... » Read More
The history of 125 S. Laurel St.

The history of 125 S. Laurel St.

The building at 125 South Laurel St. that is currently empty has a long and colorful history. It was built about 1904 by Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Hodges as a store. His family operated it for years. » Read More
Exploring old Springfield

Exploring old Springfield

This was compiled by Susan Exley of Historic Effingham Society. If you have photos, comments or information to share, contact her at 754-6681 or hesheraldexley@aol.com. » Read More
Rambling through old photos

Rambling through old photos

This was written by Susan Exley of Historic Effingham Society. » Read More
Celebrating 280 years at Jerusalem

Celebrating 280 years at Jerusalem

The congregation of Jerusalem Lutheran Church will celebrate its 280th anniversary Aug. 31. The church is its people. The congregation was organized in 1733 at St. Anna's Church in Augsburg, German... » Read More
Sipping Salzburger lemonade on Labor Day at Ebenezer

Sipping Salzburger lemonade on Labor Day at Ebenezer

The Georgia Salzburgers will celebrate their history at the Heritage Day Festival on Labor Day, Sept. 1, where their ancestors built their homes on the Savannah River near Rincon. Two-hundred eight... » Read More
Remembering the postal building by city hall

Remembering the postal building by city hall

According to Betty Renfro in "River to River," in April 1836, John Charlton was named postmaster in Springfield, a rapidly growing town. Since he was the clerk of Inferior Court, it is guessed that... » Read More
When city hall was a Ford dealership

When city hall was a Ford dealership

In May 1962, H.N. Ramsey Sr. retired from the business he established in 1921. Under the name H.N. Ramsey Motor Company, Inc., three new stockholders were added to the business. The three who joine... » Read More


© Copyright 2010 Morris Multimedia All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...